Monday, August 16, 2010

Field Trips and Friday School

My sister and I were talking today about different extracurricular events we participated in as we grew up in Alaska. We were both homeschooled and so the outside events were that much more poignant because they were rare.

I am so grateful for the opportunities we have here in the Vancouver area. My kids love attending Friday School which is a parent led homeschool co-op. This will be our 5th year of participation and I can't say enough good things about it. The leaders are organized and friendly, the teachers are wonderful (ahem), and the classes varied. If you are looking for something fun to try on Fridays, check it out.

We are also participating in Homeschooling Events and More which is a network of field trips for homeschoolers. I was so impressed with the events scheduled and the efficiency of their system. I signed us up for two musicals, Oregon ballet theater (tickets were 2$s each), and the Oregon symphony (ditto). We're on the waiting list for the tour of the capital and the tour of the Oregon mounted patrol horse stables.

What you do at home is hugely important, but what you do when you leave your home is also worth investing thought into. I don't always have the energy to do that, so I'm so thankful to the people out there that make these things happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment