Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Planning - By Annie

This is about the time of year that I start thinking school, routine, and organization. What that means for me, and what it means for you will be two totally different things. Nonetheless, I feel like I answer the same questions countless times so I'll answer some of them here, for the record.

The first thing I do is buy or devise a planner. I personally block 12 weeks at a time, but some people are happy with 4 or even just 1 to experiment. So I mark out my weeks from now until Christmas. I give us some catch-up days because the unexpected is expected around here. Once I've mapped the days we will be doing school I look at where I want to go. Goals are good. Then I find my average and mark how much of what I need to be doing each day. For example: the nature book that I want Avonlea to finish this fall is 363 pages. I have 49 days of school scheduled for fall. That means she needs to read 8 pages a school day to make sure she's done by Christmas. Math on the other hand is just a lesson a day, finishing where ever we finish. I know that most curriculums are based on a 36 week school year so as long as we stay consistent we usually finish our work for the year on time.

Our day is divided into 2 sections; morning school which involves everyone, and afternoon school which is just Avonlea and Grant (while Rowan and Posy have quiet time). My morning time is very structured and my afternoon time less so. Our school tends to go better if Rowan and Rose are given first attention. Avonlea and Grant have notebooks with checklists of things that they are to do themselves. For example: handwriting, nature reader, spelling, history readers, typing etc. By 3rd and 5th grade they are capable of much on their own. I work with Rowan and Rose plays near us or participates at her will. Rowan does math (Saxon 1), history/geography/Bible (Sonlight PS 4/5) and literature/crafts (literature pockets).

After about 45 minutes we swap. I work with Grant and Avonlea does a craft or plays a game with the R's for 30 minutes (I actually set a timer). When the timer goes off, we swap again. I work with Avonlea for 30 minutes while Grant takes the R's outside to play. Then I get the two younger ones again and Avonlea and Grant finish up their checklist. We start roughly at 9AM and finish at 11:30 and have some free time before lunch at 12! We did this schedule last year and it worked really well. It took a little while at first for the older kids to find their niche with the little ones. Avonlea prefers sedate activity and Grant likes to run them ragged. Sometimes they'll just get a stack of books and read to them the whole half hour. If the day is falling apart on me, I'll put in a movie.

So that's our schedule, roughly. I found a list of weekly and daily schedules on this site under planning. There's lots more to talk about..........next time!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, I going to use these Ideas for this fall. I am really trying to get some routines set so thanks for the pointers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, Annie! This year is going to look quite different for us with Evan starting Kindergarten and Clara starting to walk (not yet, but I'm confident she will be by the time we start). I need all the scheduling ideas I can get and this seems like it would work really well!

    ReplyDelete