Monday, May 7, 2018

Day 4 and 5

TUESDAY

Today is a pretty bland day in my memory. Maybe it's because the day is getting farther and farther with each passing hour. We just started VBS for the kids and I went to an English class which I'll explain on day 6. So I shall skip Tuesday and start my journal back up at Wednesday. See you there - 


WEDNESDAY

10:00-3:00 - The Parade! But first the waiting.... Fact while we wait: it is very bad manners to salute their flag. Don't do it. Just to justify myself - I didn't. 
    It is the hottest day of the week. The sun beats down while I try to take in all the cute costumes and displays. At the end, we learn that this is the last year the town will do the parade due to the cost.:( 
   Then on to face painting! The paints smear instead of stick but we're still able to have conversations with the kids that come up. Two girls want matching hearts on their cheeks. Another one wants a purple star. We try and it turns out cute! An adult hands us tamales to eat. I've never had one. They taste - interesting. 
   The face painting team heads into the only van available to go tour some stores. All the evangelism teams have to walk! We go into the only grocery store, bakery, and pet shop. Even though we're the face painting team, we still get to pass out Bibles and tracks!
Finally, we meet up with the rest of the group to pick out some shoes in the shoe store for the kids at the ranch. 

Annaka face painting a little boy.

Andrew and Brooke teaming up for a smash war of eggs filled with flour or confetti. On the far left, you can see Jo Jo ready to smash a flour egg at me. He pounded it into my head only to discover it wouldn't break. He kept doing it but the egg was merciful.


5:00 - We all separate to go eat with the ranch kids in 4 different houses. Last time, I went to one of the boys' houses and drew race cars for a 15 year old. This time is a lot different! My group goes to Monica's house which consists of about 8-10 girls ranging from 10 to 15. I get what I consider the prime spot: right between Jacera and Ferrenanda. They have us get our food first. I pass on the tortillas because I'm not sure if they are wheat or corn. But I hear whispering behind me at the table. I turn around to see Jacera with a very sad face. She tries to smile when I come back and sit down but I can tell something is wrong. Ferrenanda explains, "Ella fries them up especial and now you don't like." Oooooh. I explain, "I do like but I can't have wheat and I don't know if they are wheat or not." Hmmm, Jacera's still looking at my plate like I scarred her for life by not taking a tortilla. I ask the lady in charge on my second helping of food and she says the tortilla's are corn. I take one! After I finish my food, Jacera divides my hair and gives one half to Ferrenanda and starts french-braiding her own half. Then Angelina comes along and braids them together!



No comments:

Post a Comment